And then, it came back!

Less than 3 months after my 2 nd operation the Bacteria resurfaced.

Still un-diagnosed this Bacteria would not grow cultures in the blood, and therefore no one could determine what bacteria we were dealing with, and therefore what Drug/ Antibiotic they needed to kill it. Back into hospital I went. This time for 8 weeks. Yes, 8 weeks on a new cocktail of IV administered, very potent antibiotics. One drug into one arm and the other into the other 24/7 –  later this  changed to a CVP line into my neck as my veins in my arms became so damaged and collapsed from daily blocked needles and lines , that they eventually just could not give blood any longer. I lasted 7 weeks in my small room – The amazing Nurses, and Sister  had had me secretly upgraded to a private room at no extra cost ( thank you , for that lifesaving gesture). I had a daily regime of needles and Gentamicyn and Amikacin via IV. I had my exercise routine, my Pilates Ball, my walking route and visit to the coffee shop on the 8th floor, and the masseuse and rehab room on the ground floor. Over 50 days. Each day.




I had found a young, dynamic and specialist Physician named Nick Slapperbersky before going in for my op. He was managing my treatment, and now researched similar cases and was prepared to work with me and take this Bacteria head on. He was the one who implemented the newer and stronger and longer regime of IV Drugs. Like me, he wanted to eradicate this demon of a bacteria.He also understood me as a person ( although he did not always agree with my choices) and realised what being couped up in a hospital room would and was doing to me.Again he found a way to help get me out while still remaining on the 24/7 IV drugs. First we figured out a way for me to carry my bags of IV fluid, hooked up to an electronic device that would slowly deliver the correct flow amounts in to my veins. The device had a 6 hr battery life, so I could start doing trips home to oversee the building process, and let me spend time with Tracy and Family outside of the hospital. Eg Xmas and New Years Eve.I then went home permanently and with the help of a daily Nurse, I set up and could administer my IV lines, drips and Drugs at home. Which I did for a further 2 weeks. This was not an easy time either, but it was a far more positive environment than hospital and it assisted in my recovery.

It took another 6 months for me to feel normal again, and before I could take part in the sports and daily pursuits I loved. Only after a year, was I possibly back to being close to as fit and healthy as I had been before. But again, an operation of this magnitude (4 hrs in surgery this time/ as opposed to almost 7 the first) knocks one both physically and psychologically, and again this “experience’ took a little piece of me ( body and mind), that will never be recovered.

I write this, only now 16/06/2012. Although I again survived and have thrived since this OP, I definitely feel more vulnerable and a little less resilient after having this BUG come back and get me again.To see what I have been up to, enjoyed, achieved and lived for, since this last op, please go to my GALLERY and ACHIEVEMENT pages.